MysticThumbs is ever evolving. Here are just some of the core features:
- Windows 10, 8, 7 fully supported. Vista works to version 4 but not supported thereafter.
- High DPI support for the vision impaired and extra high resolution displays.
- Very lean and fast, written 100% in optimised C/C++ using only Win32 system calls - no .NET, no MFC or other bloat to slow things down.
- MysticThumbs has a control panel and shell context menu function that allow adjustments
to thumbnail generation settings as well as to perform many other useful functions.
- Thumbnail generation for all thumbnail sizes and icons (icon, list, detail
- Preview images using the preview pane.
- Transparency support. For each file format you can define how MysticThumbs generates thumbnails:
- No transparency (opaque) with the ability to define the canvas color that will show behind any transparent areas.
- Transparent, so you see the folder/desktop behind the thumbnail
- Checkboard Light and Dark, gives you a distinctive, configurable checkerboard backdrop behind the thumbnail that shows the transparent or semi-transparent areas. Useful for artists relying on transparencies and cross referencing files.
- QuickView - image viewer - via context menu or by pressing the Space bar for all supported and enabled image types.
- Has it's own context menu functions to allow changing viewing options.
- Shows information useful for artists such as X,Y position and RGBA color codes.
- Icon overlays enable/disable and customize per file format / extension.
- Performance enhancement options to prevent thumbnail generation for excessively large images. Definable for each file type.
- Scale Up images to thumbnail size - for small images allows the generation of full size thumbnails for thumbnails larger than the image.
- Thumbnail cache clear - to easily clear the entire thumbnail and/or small icon caches.
- Per image refresh - refresh the thumbnail of images if required.
- Per image options (transparency/scale up) - some images may not conform to the
default options for that image type - use this context menu option to override the
- Compound file support. Files such as HTML, Maya or EML that use multiple files
such as external images thumbnail correctly.
- Folder icon enhancement.
- Windows does not refresh the folder icon for image folders very well in some situations. MysticThumbs improves upon this to help folder thumbnails represent their contents.
- Use the refresh option on a folder to update the folder's images and it's icon.
- Generated thumbnails of images automatically update their parent folder icon.
- System tray application to inform you when thumbnails are being generated by MysticThumbs, a recent thumbnail history and Quick access to the control panel for options.
- PSD Photoshop images all formats and bit depths supported. Internal thumbnail
used for excessively large images.
- Paint Shop Pro / PSP images, all versions supported.
- DirectX / Direct3D DDS almost all formats and bit depths supported for all your game textures. Cube
maps are represented as a cross to see all faces.
- PowerVR / PVR texture support for your video game content creators. Cube maps also supported.
- WAV sound files displayed as a waveform to help recognize them by form over file name.
- Windows supported image types enhancement. MysticThumbs can override the defaults for [JPEG, PNG, TIFF, BMP] so you can get all the benifits of MysticThumbs
features such as transparency, maximum image size etc. These can also be disabled so the default system thumbnail is used if desired.
- Color profiles supported for selected file types.
- Thumbnail adornment options - drop shadow or disable - on a per file type/extension basis if required.
- Network thumbnail handling support.
Plugin support for custom file formats.
- Automatic updates on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Developer beta builds also available when relevant.
- Localization - currently 18 languages supported. Language support includes:
Contact support if you want to contribute to translations.
- Chinese Simplified
- Chinese Traditional
- And many ongoing features always being added and tuned that may not be listed here... See the Version History Page to review changes live.